(chaotic, demon, evil)
|CR||26-30 (true demon lords)|
21-25 (nascent demon lords)
|Images of demon lords|
Source: Lords of Chaos, pg(s). 8-29, 37-39
A demon lord is a very powerful and unique demon. They are by definition rulers of at least one layer of the Abyss, and have hordes of nascent demon lords and lesser demons in their service. Being creatures of chaos, however, not all demons are servants to a demon lord. As the Abyss is nigh infinite, so too are the number of demon lords.
All demon lords are technically—if not actively—at war with one another almost all the time. While some alliances are forged and uneasy truces held, most demon lords are actively at war with one or two others. Often these combatants have similar interests (and are therefore rivals for mortal worshipers), or have adjacent layers.
Demon lords are such powerful fiends that they are capable of granting spells and power to their debauched mortal worshipers, and as such are considered demigods. As demigods, they can take dominion over four domains.
Known demon lords
This is a list of those demon lords with a well-known interest in Golarion. Lamashtu is included on this list because she is both a demon lord and a goddess. These demon lords are powerful even among their own kind and are known well beyond the confines of the Abyss.
|Abraxas||Master of the Final Incantation, Lord of Magic and Forbidden Lore|
|Angazhan||Ravener King The Ravener King Lord of Apes and Jungles|
|Baphomet||Lord of Minotaurs, Lord of Labyrinths and Beasts|
|Cyth-V'sug||Prince of the Blasted Heath, Lord of Fungus and Parasites|
|Dagon||Shadow in the Sea The Shadow in the Sea Lord of the Sea and Sea Monsters|
|Deskari||Lord of the Locust Host, Lord of Locusts and Infestation|
|Gogunta||Song of the Swamp, Lord of Boggards and Swamps|
|Kostchtchie||Deathless Frost The Deathless Frost Lord of Giants and Cold|
|Lamashtu||Mother of Monsters The Mother of Monsters Lord of Madness and Monsters|
|Nocticula||Our Lady in Shadow, Lord of Darkness and Lust|
|Orcus||Prince of Undeath, Lord of Necromancy and the Undead|
|Pazuzu||King of Wind Demons, Demon Lord of Winged Creatures and the Sky|
|Shax||Blood Marquis The Blood Marquis Demon Lord of Lies and Murder|
|Socothbenoth||Silken Sin The Silken Sin Lord of Perversion and Taboo|
|Zura||Vampire Queen The Vampire Queen, Lord of Cannibalism and Vampires|
Seven deadly sins
Other demon lords
These demon lords, while perhaps as individually powerful as those listed above, tend to have less influence on Golarion. Possessing smaller or more local cults, their interests are in other worlds and other sins.
|Aldinach||She of the Six Venoms, Lord of Sand and Scorpions|
|Andirifkhu||Razor Princess The Razor Princess, Lord of Knives and Traps|
|Areshkagal||Faceless Sphinx The Faceless Sphinx, Lord of Portals and Riddles|
|Flauros||Burning Maw The Burning Maw, Lord of Fire and Salamanders|
|Haagenti||Whisper Within The Whisper Within, Lord of Alchemy and Change|
|Jezelda||Mistress of the Hungry Moon, Lord of the Moon and Werewolves|
|Jubilex||Faceless Lord The Faceless Lord, Lord of Poison and Ooze|
|Kabriri||Him Who Gnaws, Lord of Graves and Ghouls|
|Mazmezz||Creeping Queen The Creeping Queen, Lord of Vermin and Bindings|
|Mestama||Mother of Witches The Mother of Witches, Lord of Hags and Deception|
|Nurgal||Shining Scourge The Shining Scourge, Lord of the Sun and War|
|Shivaska||Chained Maiden The Chained Maiden, Lord of Aberrations and Prisons|
|Sifkesh||Sacred Whore The Sacred Whore, Lord of Heresy and Suicide|
|Urxehl||Trollfather, Lord of Storms and Trolls|
|Xoveron||Horned Prince The Horned Prince, Lord of Gargoyles and Ruins|
|Yhidothrus||Ravager Worm The Ravager Worm, Lord of Time and Worms|
|Zevgavizeb||God of Troglodytes The God of Troglodytes, Lord of Caverns and Troglodytes|
The following demon lords are virtually unknown on Golarion:
Nascent demon lords
All demons are created from larvae, the Abyss-damned souls of evil mortals. By amassing tremendous power and prestige, any demon can theoretically transform itself into a unique member of its species. These creatures have not yet achieved the full status of demon lordship, including demigod status, and are as yet somewhat unformed. They must continue serving more powerful demon lords until they come into their own. These creatures are known as nascent demon lords, and they exist in their hundreds or thousands in the Abyss. Of this large population, however, very few survive the trials and tribulation of the Abyss and its denizens to ascend to full demon lordship.
Known nascent demon lords
Although the true number of nascent demon lords in the Abyss is not known, it is rumored to be in the hundreds, if not thousands. Below is a short list of the most well-known of these powerful creatures, along with the names of the demon lords whom they serve (if any).
Yamasoth is a qlippoth lord, so not included in the table below, yet many scholars persist with the notion that Yamasoth is actually a nascent demon lord, maybe the only qlippoth currently at that rank in the Abyssal hierarchy. This is wrong, and Yamasoth himself is angry at this misrepresentation.
|Daclau-Sar||Lord of Carrion, TheThe Lord of Carrion||Lamashtu|
|Izyagna||She of the Sevenfold Swarm||Lamashtu|
|Kalvakus||Aquatic nascent demon lord||TharsektiThe sea surrounding Tharsekti in Lamashtu's realm of Kurnugia|
|Kholerus||Lake of Mists and Veils in Brevoy on Golarion, imprisoned|
|Menxyr||Coffin Groom, The The Coffin Groom||Malvyrea||None|
|Murnath||The Horned Rat||Lamashtu|
|Treerazer||Tanglebriar on Golarion, in exile after trying to overthrow Cyth-V'sug.||None|
Demon lords are covered in detail in Lords of Chaos, Book of the Damned Volume 2.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- James Jacobs. (2009). Demon Lords of Golarion. Descent into Midnight, p. 55. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 231. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Amber Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 28. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- James Jacobs. (2009). Demon Lords of Golarion. Descent into Midnight, p. 54. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 8. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- Two of these domains must be Chaos and Evil; the other two domains will reflect the demon lord's personal portfolio.
- James Jacobs, Jason Nelson, David Schwartz, and Jerome Virnich. (2013). Bestiary. The Worldwound Incursion, p. 81. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-553-2
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 174. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs, Jonathan H. Keith, Jason Nelson, Amber Stewart, and Tanith Tyrr. (2013). The Worldwound, p. 49. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-532-7
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 175. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 233. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 37. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 51. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- James Jacobs. (2012). Before Sin. Beyond the Doomsday Door, p. 65. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-474-0
- Tim Pratt. (2013). Liar's Blade, Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-515-0
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 315. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2