The ruins of Holy Xatramba (sometimes also spelled Xatremba) lie in the eastern jungle of the Mwangi Expanse, southwest of the city of Kibwe.
The city was founded in 3699 AR, at the site of Volnagur's first defeat (which happened in 909 AR). Its religion was an unique mix of ancestor worship and worship of Pharasma and its memory is revered by the Mwangi people.
Like all Zenj settlements at the time, it was founded with a nomadic partner tribe in the savannahs to the south. Xatramba's partner tribe had set up a market outpost known as Rastel, but soon that outpost grew into a bigger and bigger trading hub in the region as the merchants that had previously lived in Xatramba moved away due to the city's increasing focus on religion. The rise of its sister city angered the leadership of Xatramba, who attempted to bar them from trading with any other powers but were unsuccessful. In retaliation, Rastel placed tariffs on trade to Xatramba and began attempting to attract even more foreign merchants.
This trade war would later escalate into a physical one, and in 3705 AR, Rastel summoned a horde of demons to destroy the city. The few survivors of the demonic assault fled to Kibwe, at the time Xatramba's eastern regional capital. Countless religious artifacts were lost in the disaster, and the planar rifts Rastel had created when summoning the demons would continue to haunt the expanse for centuries to come.
The demons shook free of Rastel's control, and sought to rule the city for themselves. However, today the city is claimed by Olohimba, a mighty Pharasmin green dragon. The dragon has done what she can to remove the fiends from her territory, but many still remain in the city. In addition, the city is haunted by the ghosts of many of its original citizens.
Those Mwangi spellcasters who possess the ability to tap into the latent spiritual energies of their ancestors' ruins say that this is a powerful site; only the mysterious Doorway to the Red Star and the extremely dangerous Ruins of Kho are more potent.
- ↑ Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. cover. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- ↑ Clinton Boomer. (2009). Spawn of Rovagug. The Final Wish, p. 55. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-185-5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Ron Lundeen. (2020). The Slithering, p. 28. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-272-3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Laura-Shay Adams et al. (2021). The Mwangi Expanse, p. 18. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-340-9
- ↑ Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 52–53. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- ↑ Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 107. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1