House of Dust
Outsiders petitioning for souls
All unjudged souls
|Divinities||Pharasma; Achaekek, Groetus, psychopomp ushers|
|Description||Vast city surrounding great temple, atop an immense spire rising from Axis|
Source: Planar Adventures, pg(s). 178–183
The Boneyard, sometimes referred to as Purgatory or the Spirelands, is a neutral plane where the souls of dead mortals from the Material Plane are judged by the goddess Pharasma. It rests atop Pharasma's Spire, jutting out from Axis into the Astral Plane. Souls are brought to the Boneyard by the River of Souls, and after judgement, are sent to the appropriate plane or domain in the Outer Sphere. Some arrive at the Boneyard with their choices already made or pacts signed, but others are judged by a series of courts.
The Boneyard appears as a vast necropolis filled with countless courtyards, monuments, graves, and forums teeming with the souls of the dead awaiting judgement. Each of these courts is shaped and styled to correspond to one of the Outer Planes, and is overseen and guarded by representatives from each of the gods.
Places of interest
The souls of the neutral dead remain in the Boneyard and are transformed in the lands beyond Pharasma's palace and the necropolis into aeons. These strange creatures act as the goddess' advisors, caretakers, explorers, guardians, guides, and even soldiers in times of war. The souls of the neutral dead also form into psychopomps who serve as the bureaucracy of death. In the unclaimed wilderness of Boneyard wolf-like packs of esoboks patrol, protecting the restful dead from both mortal and outsider intruders who would disturb them.
The God of the End Times, Groetus, hangs eternally over the Boneyard like a twisted moon that edges closer with each orbit. It is whispered that when he reaches the Spire, all of creation will be wiped away in a great apocalypse.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Amber Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 32. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- Amber Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 33. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 243. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Crystal Frasier. (2014). Empty Graves. Empty Graves, p. 84, 85. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-589-1
- Robert Brookes et al. (2018). Planar Adventures, p. 179. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-044-6