|Leader||Darchana of House Madinani|
|Goals||Increase use of magic throughout society|
Source: Faction Guide, pg(s). 6-7
This article might have further canon details available on.
The Arcanamirium was established by the Arclords of Nex not long after they had formed a power block to fill the void left by their departed lord Nex. In the centuries since, it has become a mainstay of the city's Wise Quarter and one of the most influential non-governmental bodies in all of Absalom.
|This section is a stub. You can help us by .|
The school is overseen by the first spell lord, an appointed official who handles all questions of magic within Absalom and its holdings. A strict hierarchy within the student body ensures that pupils are not only divided by ability and experience, but that apprentices serve journeymen in their efforts to learn as well as pay the often steep tuition.
Every tenured teaching spellcaster employed by the school is allowed to sponsor one student each year. These students are given basic living quarters and secondhand equipment, but they receive their education free of charge. Similarly, traveling members of the school faculty have been known to pay (up front) for the education of a particularly promising student found abroad.
Admission to the Arcanamirium is a multistep process beginning with an annual open exam. Applicants journey from all across Golarion to partake in this test, which not only proves their mettle as an arcanist but also ranks them as an apprentice, journeyman, maven, or an esteemed arcanscenti. Arcanamirium docents occasionally travel to other cities to scout for and recruit arcane talent to the school, but regardless of how one gains entry into the university, magical talent is an absolute requirement.
Unlike many comparable arcane institutions, the Arcanamirium promotes universal study over specialization, shying further from the schools of illusion and necromancy than the other demesnes. Any form of magic is also encouraged, and students who have the inclination are supported in mixing magic with martial skills, stealth, divine rituals, and even mundane talents, resulting in a student body well-versed in "practical magic," the ability to use spells and magic tools to accomplish direct, measurable results in the material world. The Arcanamirium is also known for its dueling fields, at which many students hone their magical combat abilities.
Several members of the Arcanamirium are arcanists, who blend the techniques of wizards and sorcerers. One professor is believed to be an arcanist, and Lady Darchana holds that arcanists and wizards should work together more, in order to help commoditize their magic and explore its effects on society.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Owen K.C. Stephens. (2008). Guide to Absalom, p. 45. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-141-1
- Owen K.C. Stephens. (2008). Guide to Absalom, p. 3. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-141-1
- Erik Mona and Jason Bulmahn. (2008). Gazetteer, p. 16. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-077-3
- Dennis Baker, et al. (2014). Advanced Class Origins, p. 6. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-674-4
- Calder CaDavid, Vanessa Hoskins, Mike Kimmel, Isabelle Lee, Matt Morris, Mikhail Rekun, and Michael Sayre. (2019). Chronicle of Legends, p. 19. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-136-8
- Calder CaDavid, Vanessa Hoskins, Mike Kimmel, Isabelle Lee, Matt Morris, Mikhail Rekun, and Michael Sayre. (2019). Chronicle of Legends, p. 18, 19. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-136-8
- Will McCardell et al. (2015). Familiar Folio, p. 5. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-731-4