Runescars #4, a Pathfinder comic book written by James L. Sutter with art by Ediano Silva, colors by Omi Remalante, letters by Tom Napolitano, and covers by Geraldo Borges (with colors by Mohan), Jonathan Lau (with colors by Remalante), Igor Lima (with colors by Mohan), and Pasquale Qualano, was released on August 23, 2017. The issue is subtitled "One Foot in the Grave" on page 4.
|“||Still reeling from the death of one of their own, the Pathfinder heroes must chase a rogue Hellknight sorcerer to the foot of an ancient monument in the city of Korvosa. Inside, lies a magical storehouse of treasures from a forgotten age, including the fabled Runescar Stylus capable of waking an army of petrified spellcasters. Yet the ancient runelords didn't leave their treasures unguarded...||”|
"Runescars #4" features the following characters:
Runescars #4 is the penultimate chapter in the Pathfinder: Runescars story arc, and contains the following material.
"One Foot in the Grave" by James L. Sutter (1)
- The adventurers delve into a cyclopean monument in Korvosa on the trail of a renegade Hellknight responsible for a series of brutal murders.
"The Rise and Fall of Thassilon" by Jason Keeley (26)
- A brief overview of the founding, history, and collapse of the ancient empire of Thassilon.
"Enter the Septagon" by Jason Keeley (28)
- The Septagon, a ruin from the Thassilonian realm of Eurythnia deep beneath Old Korvosa, is guarded by ancient clockworks and contains a new magic item: a seven-sided coin. This short adventure may be inserted as a side mission during Part 1 of Escape from Old Korvosa, the third issue of the Curse of the Crimson Throne Pathfinder Adventure Path.
- This pull-out poster presents a miniatures-scale map of the Septagon on one side, and Wayne Reynolds's cover art from Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition on the other.
Making their way back to Korvosa from Citadel Rivad, the adventurers each cope with Tanin's death in their own way. Notably, Valeros reflects on his own mortality and how his life of adventure means he is likely to meet a similar fate eventually, and he finds solace in his cups. Arriving at Gatefoot, the adventurers discover the remains of a battle between Lazku and Order of the Nail Hellknights loyal to the [[Citadel Vraid|citadel]. They stake out the monument, awaiting the sorcerer's return, and that night, follow her through a magical door keyed to Seoni's tattoos (and those Lazku has stolen from other Varisian spellcasters). Inside, they must navigate a series of deadly dungeon chambers, each home to a different guardian—a manticore, a colony of myceloids, and a red reaver, among others—before finally catching up to Lazku. The signifer traps the adventurers on the opposite side of a magical barrier, which allows her to retrieve the Runescar Stylus and escape. Desperate to catch up with their quarry, but unable to teleport to Mundatei like Lazku can, the adventurers prepare to ride hippogriff mounts—formerly mounts for the city's Sable Company marines—as a means of catching up.
Alternative cover gallery
|Jonathan Lau||Pasquale Qualano||Geraldo Borges|
Interior art gallery
- A Writer's Commentary: James Sutter on Pathfinder: Runescars #4, on sale now! - Dynamite Entertainment message boards, in which we, the "Pathfinder Wiki team", get a honourable mention.
- Real-world articles
- 2017 comics
- Runescars comics
- Comics by James L. Sutter
- Works by James L. Sutter
- Artwork by Ediano Silva
- Kyra appearances
- Merisiel appearances
- Quinn appearances
- Seoni appearances
- Valeros appearances
- Astera appearances
- Severs DiViri appearances
- Lazku appearances
- Tanin appearances
- Tiro appearances