Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophies of Golarion differ from religions in that they are teachings and ways of thinking that are propounded by a mortal founder who, usually, does not become a deity. By assenting to a particular philosophy, one is generally not limited in choosing any particular occupation; however, some combinations of philosophy and religion present inherent conflicts. The study of various fundamental underpinnings of many philosophies is known as metaphysics.
Below is an incomplete list of the philosophies that are prevalent on Golarion today, or have been important historically:
- Ancestor worship
- Brothers of the Lash
- The Common Rule of Andoran
- The Esoteric tradition (or ancient wisdom) as opposed to the arcane tradition (or orthodox scheme)
- Glorious Endeavor
- The Green Faith
- Iridian Fold
- Laws of Mortality
- Lergeni astrology
- Occultism, which encompasses several beliefs in hidden systems concerning the governance of reality
- The Ouat pursuit of cosmic self-perfection
- Pharasmin Penitence
- Physical philosophy
- The Prophecies of Kalistrade
- Saoc Brethren
- The Seven Virtues of Rule of Lissala
- The Whispering Way
- See also: Category:Locations by philosophy
Among the foundations that deal with philosophy or places associated with the study are:
- Absalom's Wise Quarter
- The Council of Enlightenment
- The Crook Lyceum
- The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment
- University of Lepidstadt
|This section is a stub. You can help us by .|
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Philosophy. Wikipedia.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 176. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 236. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Metaphysics. Wikipedia.
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2015). Occult Adventures, p. 208. Paizo Inc.
- Liane Merciel, Lyz Liddell, Ron Lundeen, and Mark Moreland. (2018). Nidal, Land of Shadows, p. 11. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-033-0