|Titles|| The Vampire Queen,|
Demon Lord of Cannibalism and Vampires
|Home||Nesh, the Abyss|
|Worshipers||cannibals, drow, Bekyar, vampires|
|Domains||Chaos, Death, Evil, Madness|
|Subdomains||Blood, Demon, Murder, Undead|
|Symbol||Crimson fanged skull rune|
|Sacred Animal||Vampire bat|
|Images of Zura|
The demon lord Zura (pronounced ZOO-rah) is also known as the Vampire Queen, and is worshiped by cannibals, drow, and of course, vampires. Her unholy symbol is a blood-red, fanged skull, embossed with runes.
Zura is believed to be the first vampire in all of creation. Supposedly she was an ancient Azlanti queen who possessed a lust for eternal life so great she eventually resorted to feeding on her own kind. Even thousands of years later, people still whisper the legends of her decadent, savage feasts and her baths of warm human blood. Some scholars even claim that her ascension heralded the beginning of the ancient Azlant empire's descent into decadence and eventual destruction at the beginning of the Age of Darkness. Her sinfulness was so great that, on her death by botched suicide, her soul was sent to the Abyss, where she immediately arose as a succubus vampire. Before Earthfall she had ascended to demon lord status.
She is said to appear as a voluptuous woman, with a dark gothic beauty that is almost impossible to resist. This beautiful form is merely a ruse she uses to seduce her victims; her true form is that of an emaciated woman with bat-like wings in place of arms, blood-red eyes and hair, large fangs, and taloned feet.
Cult and worshipers
Zura's worship is most common wherever blood-thirsty vampires and their thralls can be found. She is most commonly worshiped in the haunted counties of Ustalav and decadent cities of Cheliax. Azlanti ruins may attract Azlanti vampires who tend shrines to Zura there.
In the Mwangi Expanse, Zura is one of the main demons worshipped by the Bekyar tribes and the ferocious halflings of the Kaava Lands. One version of the legend of the mythical lost city of Zurakai is that it was founded by followers of Zura. Some sabosan, failing to get spells from their erstwhile demon lord, Vyriavaxus, have turned to Zura.
Cultists of Urgathoa mirror the relationship of their goddess with Zura cultists: sometimes they work together, sometimes cultists of one are sacrificed to the other. Maybe this conflict is due to the similar natures of the goddess' and the demon lord's portfolios.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 247. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 29. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- James Jacobs. (2009). Demon Lords of Golarion. Descent into Midnight, p. 63. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 232. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 8, 29. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2008). Zirnakaynin. Endless Night, p. 51. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-129-9
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 175. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 14. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 57. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Jesse Benner and Jason Nelson. (2010). Bestiary. Vaults of Madness, p. 87. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-275-3