Arch of Aroden
The Arch of Aroden is a monolithic arch hundreds of feet in height which stretches across the Hespereth Strait in far southwestern Cheliax, linking the Inner Sea to the Arcadian Ocean. Despite the fact that the arch spans two continents, both ends have been a part of the nation of Cheliax since their victories in Garund in 4137 AR, much to the consternation of the neighboring nation of Rahadoum. Through the heavily fortified port city of Corentyn, which controls the northern end of the arch, Cheliax can effectively shut down all trade and naval traffic in or out of the western part of the Inner Sea.
Beginning in 2555 AR, thousands of exiled clerics and faithful worshipers fled north across the straits as the Laws of Man spread from the city of Azir throughout the entire nation of Rahadoum, ending the Oath Wars. These refugees fled intense religious persecution in their homeland and poured across the strait into the city of Corentyn, to the great dismay of the local Chelish authorities. Amidst the religious upheaval and civil unrest their emigration had caused, a plan for the construction of a bridge connecting the continents emerged under the leadership of Lord Kevid Chemoch, ruler of Corentyn. Lord Chemoch succeeded in finding a way to focus all of the city's religious fervor and created a combination large public works project reliant upon slave labor, and a tribute to the god Aroden. The arch was completed in 2606 AR. Numerous invasions from the south were attempted using the arch, until Cheliax seized control of its southern terminus in 4137 AR.
After the collapse of the Arch, the keystone was dragged from the seabed by gillmen and given as a gift to the Andoran nation in 4670 AR. The Archstone bears the symbol of Aroden and was used in the construction of a monument to Talmandor in the Field of Concord.
The Arch Today
Today, nearly a third of the arch has collapsed, making it useless as a bridge between the continents, even though it remains a dominant visual feature of the city of Corentyn. The Arch also acts as an important marker for sailors, letting them that they are leaving the relative security of the Inner Sea for the more dangerous Arcadian Ocean, or vice versa.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 202. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- ↑ Erik Mona & Jason Bulmahn. (2008). Gazetteer, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-077-3
- ↑ Owen K.C. Stephens. (2008). Guide to Absalom, p. 56. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-141-1
- ↑ James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 56. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- ↑ James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 32. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Joshua J. Frost et al. (2009). Cities of Golarion, p. 17. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-200-5
- ↑ Jonathan H. Keith, Colin McComb, Steven E. Schend, Leandra Christine Schneider, and Amber E. Scott. (2009). Cheliax, Empire of Devils, p. 4. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-191-6
- ↑ Jonathan Keith, et al. (2010). Andoran, Spirit of Liberty, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-205-0