- For another meaning of "Ulfen Guard", please see Ulfen Guard (prestige class).
The Ulfen Guard exists to protect the bearer of the Primogen Crown. Its most visible role is the safeguarding of the Grand Princess. Others search for potential threats as surprisingly clever investigators. The Ulfen Guard care only for their oath and duty to the crown, without personal or political ties to the rest of Taldor. They swear fealty to the imperial position, not the individual, and their sense of honor and loyalty are unwavering.1 Ulfen Guard members serve for at least a year, although it is common for members to serve for longer. Once their service is up, they are permitted to take as much loot from the royal treasury as they can carry.2 Many former Ulfen Guards become very rich as a result.
Members of the Ulfen Guard are given the official title of "huscarl", provided they are of Ulfen descent. Although rare, it is possible for exceptional non-Ulfen individuals to be permitting to join. The only official difference is that such members are given the title "leidang".3
The Ulfen Guard were originally created in response to the assassination of Grand Prince Jalrune in 3129 AR.4 Their loyalty to their charge is unwavering, and attempts by Qadira to influence the order have had no real success.5
The commander of the Ulfen Guard is Kol Kodranson, son of Kodran Kullirson, the Ulfen Guard's previous commander.1 It is rumored that Dominicus Rell, head of the Shadow Schools of the Lion Blades, is also responsible for the training of the Ulfen Guard in their duties in protecting the Grand Prince.6
Technically the headquarters of the Ulfen Guard is in the Imperial Palace in Oppara, but the members of the guard are just as likely to be found at the Staggering Skald, an Ulfen alehouse located close to the palace.1
Many Ulfen Guardsmen are known to retire to the town of Ullerskad in the Thanelands in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, a site dedicated to the god Gorum.7
When the Knights of Lastwall asked for allies in their fight against Tar Baphon, Eutropia organised a contingent of the Ulfen Guard to assist them. Lead by Kol's son, Klor Kolson, these warriors have quickly proven their prowess and skill in the Gravelands as well as garnering attention for their raucous celebrations.8
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Joshua J. Frost et al. (2010). Faction Guide, p. 48. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-221-0
- ↑ Joshua J. Frost. (2009). Taldor, Echoes of Glory, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-169-5
- ↑ Erik Mona, Mark Moreland, Russ Taylor, and Larry Wilhelm. (2011). Pathfinder Society Field Guide, p. 23. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-305-7
- ↑ Joshua J. Frost. (2009). Taldor, Echoes of Glory, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-169-5
- ↑ Brian Cortijo. (2009). Qadira, Gateway to the East, p. 6. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-180-0
- ↑ Joshua J. Frost. (2009). Taldor, Echoes of Glory, p. 21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-169-5
- ↑ Matthew Goodall, Jonathan Keith, Colin McComb, and Rob McCreary. (2011). Lands of the Linnorm Kings, p. 33. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-365-1
- ↑ Jessica Catalan, Ron Lundeen, and Isabelle Thorne. (2022). Knights of Lastwall, p. 35. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-413-0