|CR||By character level|
Source: Bestiary, pg(s). 261
Svirfneblin, or deep gnomes as they are also known, are a subterranean offshoot of the gnome race who inhabit Golarion's Darklands. They have a stronger connection to the First World, their ancestral homeland, than their surface-dwelling cousins.
Svirfneblin appear similar in stature to their overburn (Darklands slang for the surface world) cousins, but with rocky gray or brown skin, and pale, oversized eyes. Males are always bald while females have gray, stringy hair.
The ancestors of the svirfneblin came to Golarion in -4202 AR during the Age of Anguish, at the same time as the forefathers of the surface gnome race. Their decision to settle in the Darklands most likely was prompted to keep an eye on the evil fey of that realm. Their prolonged exposure to the energies there slowly changed them into the race they are today.
Deep gnomes are tenacious opponents of the duergar, and the two races have fought numerous wars in the past. These conflicts have had such a negative impact on the svirfneblin, that they sometimes have trouble separating the grey dwarves from their surface-dwelling dwarven cousins. They also bear no love towards mites, with whom they frequently come into conflict.
Court of Ether
Nearly all svirfneblin speak Gnome as well as Undercommon. Because of their isolationism, most svirfneblin have difficulty making friends with other races. Those who accidentally stumble across one of their communities are often incarcerated for the rest of their lives, for fear that they might spread the knowledge of the settlement's location to the outside world. Outsiders who do manage to become friends with a deep gnome are sometimes given bonding stones, which are small stone amulets that symbolize their new relationship.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- The singular and plural of svirfneblin are the same.
- Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Bestiary (First Edition), p. 261. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Into the Darklands, p. 4. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-140-4
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2012). Advanced Race Guide, p. 182. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-390-3
- Colin McComb et al. (2010). Gnomes of Golarion, p. 13. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-223-4
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 34. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Bestiary (First Edition), p. 207. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Into the Darklands, p. 37. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-140-4
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Into the Darklands, p. 27. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-140-4
- Colin McComb. (2011). Faiths of Purity, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-314-9
- Sean K Reynolds et al. (2014). Inner Sea Gods, p. 184. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-597-6