|Titles||The Crawling Chaos,|
the Faceless SphinxFS,
the Haunter of the DarkHD,
the Black PharaohBP
|Areas of Concern||Conspiracies|
|Cleric Alignments (1E)|
|Domains (1E)||Chaos, Evil, Knowledge, Magic; TrickeryBP; AirFS; DarknessHD|
|Subdomains (1E)||Arcane, Divine, Memory, Thought; DeceptionBP, ThieveryBP; CloudFS; WindFS; LossHD, NightHD|
|Cleric Alignments (2E)|
|Domains (2E)||Knowledge, Magic, Nightmares, Trickery|
Darkness, Knowledge, Nightmares, TrickeryHD
Circle with winglike armsHD
|Sacred Colors||Black, redBP|
Source: In Search of Sanity, pg(s). 70
This article might have further canon details available on.
Nyarlathotep is one of the Outer Gods of the Dark Tapestry who takes on thousands of forms, each having its own cult, unholy symbol, and favoured weapon. Unlike the other Outer Gods, Nyarlathotep seems to enjoy manipulating mortals and driving them to madness. It is believed that he is has prepared for the apocalyptic return of Great Old Ones on countless planets.
Nyarlathotep is the guardian and alleged caretaker of the strange gods of the Dreamlands, who dwell in Kadath, the impossible castle at the northern tip of the Plateau of Leng. Rumour also has it that he serves as the door ward to Azathoth. Few dare approach Kadath, and fewer return after meeting Nyarlathotep.
Worshippers of Nyarlathotep believe he is the Outer God who ties together the worship of the Great Old Ones. They also believe he will open the doors to the uncaring light of the stars. Common worshippers are assassins, poisoners, and demagogues to bring about the deaths of kings and reformers, moving the world towards chaos.
Nyarlathotep is particularly interested in Osirion, where his influence is clearly visible: the Black Pharaoh is linked to many witch cults and has appeared to many pharaohs, including (allegedly) the incumbent Khemet III. It is believed that he was responsible for the Armies of Exploration that ultimately led to Taldor's decline, and the invention of firearms by the dwarves of Dongun Hold.
In his Faceless Sphinx mask, Nyarlathotep was worshipped in Thassilon and had a vague influence. Currently, the Faceless Sphinx's cult is infiltrating the drow houses of Zirnakaynin, where his worshippers hide in plain sight among their kin who still worship the demon lords, and seek to convert the leaders of Sothis as well in order to to hasten the return of the Outer Gods.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Wikipedia article on Nyarlathotep. Original source: H. P. Lovecraft, "Nyarlathotep", 1920; James Jacobs. (2016). The Elder Mythos. In Search of Sanity, p. 70. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-882-3.
- James Jacobs. (2011). Cults of the Dark Tapestry. Wake of the Watcher, p. 66. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8
- James Jacobs. (2016). The Elder Mythos. In Search of Sanity, p. 70. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-882-3
- Richard Pett. (2012). Into the Nightmare Rift. Into the Nightmare Rift, p. 42. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-487-0
- Greg A. Vaughan. (2012). Leng: The Terror Beyond Dreams. Into the Nightmare Rift, p. 68. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-487-0
- Colin McComb. (2011). Faiths of Corruption, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-375-0
- Mikko Kallio, Andrew Mullen, Nathan Reinecke, David Schwartz, and Scott D. Young. (2020). "Adventure Toolbox". Lord of the Black Sands, p. 68. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-234-1
- Richard Pett. (2012). Into the Nightmare Rift. Into the Nightmare Rift, p. 41. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-487-0