High Strategos Maxillar Pythareus, also known as Maxillar of House Pythareus, is a loyalist and advisor of Grand Prince Stavian III of Taldor, commander-in-chief of the nation's military, war hero,1 and ruler of Zimar.23
Maxillar is a well-built, handsome, but weathered man with short silver hair.3
Maxillar is the descendant of Admiral Arminus Pythareus, who led a naval attack on Absalom in the 40th century AR, and Colonel Sarius "Lion of Zimar" Pythareus, who led the liberation of Zimar during the Grand Campaign while he was still a young captain.24 Sarius's daring actions and the resulting fame established House Pythareus as a prominent force in Zimar after the war.4
Maxillar himself is a distant relation, by marriage, to the Stavian line.5
Milon Jeroth is a confidante, advisor, and covert spymaster for Maxillar.6
Traditionally, the high strategos rules jointly with the grand duke of Sophra. The current grand duke, Urjinus Vobellar, is obsequious to Maxillar's demands. He defers to the high strategos in almost all matters as the duke sees Maxillar as the likely future emperor.7
Maxillar was raised among the most prestigious tutors and scholars, while his father educated him in combat. As a teenager, his misogynistic behavior toward female classmates led to criticism from some of his teachers, particularly military scholar Tae Amalon, who died shortly after threatening to pull her endorsement of Maxillar's application to a Taldan school for military officers.4
The High Strategos is a skilled military leader and a charitable giver, but also a racist, sexist, classist nationalist who believes Taldor's decline is due to the growing power of women, non-human races, foreign merchants, and the lower classes. He feels especially threatened by the growing influence of Eutropia Stavian and attempted to arrange a marriage with the willful princess to keep her in line. This betrothment ultimately failed however.45
As ruler of Zimar
Maxillar is a strict but beloved ruler, and governs the city from the towering fortress of Abadar's Pillar.48
In 4718 AR, Grand Prince Stavian III named Maxillar Pythareus as his heir apparent prior to the Grand Day of Exaltation ceremony.9
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- ↑ Thurston Hillman. (2018). The Lion's Justice, p. 4. Paizo Inc.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Mikko Kallio. (2018). NPC Gallery. City in the Lion's Eye, p. 58–59. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-037-8
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Thurston Hillman. (2018). Crownfall. Crownfall, p. 14. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-64078-015-6
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Mikko Kallio. (2018). Zimar Gazetteer. City in the Lion's Eye, p. 64–65. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-037-8
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 5. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- ↑ Mikko Kallio. (2018). NPC Gallery. City in the Lion's Eye, p. 60–61. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-037-8
- ↑ Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 34. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- ↑ Mikko Kallio. (2018). City in the Lion's Eye. City in the Lion's Eye, p. 10–11. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-037-8
- ↑ Thurston Hillman. (2018). The Lion's Justice, p. 17. Paizo Inc. Year based on publication date.