Source: Bestiary 2, pg(s). 116
Elephants are large, quadrupedal herbivorous animals with thick skin and two tusks flanking a long, dexterous snout called a trunk.
Ecology and habitat
Elephants wander the plains of Golarion's warmer climates in large herds of close-knit families. All species of elephant are highly social, and herd members form close social bonds with one another. Occasionally, elephants are separated from their herds by accidents or are cast out. These specimens, termed rogue elephants, often become highly aggressive and dangerous creatures.
Anancuses are primordial relatives of elephants. They are distinguished from their modern cousins by their shorter trunks and much longer tusks.
Deinotheriums are large, primeval herbivores related to true elephants. Unlike their relatives, however, they have short trunks and downward-curving tusks.
The mastodon is an ancient form of elephant that can still be occasionally encountered on Golarion. They have truly massive tusks that curve up towards one another, much larger than those of the elephant. They are distinguished from mammoths by their smaller size. They chiefly inhabit temperate forests, where they live in closely knit groups.
Mammoths are a type of elephant that have long hair and larger tusks, and live in cold environments. They are more aggressive than common elephants due to living alongside more dangerous predators.
Teraphants are elephant-like animals native to Vudra. They lack tusks, instead possessing three tusk-like horns, and can sense the emotions of living creatures.
Elephants are domesticated and used as beasts of burden by many cultures. However, their high intelligence means that they must be handled with great care. Elephants are also valued as impressive mounts by orcs across Golarion.
Elephants are also hunted for the ivory of their tusks, which can sell for very high prices. Certain groups perceive elephants as majestic creatures and seek to protect them, creating danger for elephant hunters.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Bestiary (First Edition), p. 128. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Logan Bonner, Jason Bulmahn, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Mark Seifter, et al. (2019). Bestiary (Second Edition), p. 154. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-170-2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Logan Bonner, Jason Bulmahn, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Mark Seifter, et al. (2020). Bestiary 2 (Second Edition), p. 116. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-223-5
- ↑ Robert Brookes et al. (2017). Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 6, p. 184. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-931-8
- ↑ Leo Glass, Ron Lundeen, Jacob W. Michaels, Patrick Renie, and Michael Sayre. (2020). "Adventure Toolbox". Sixty Feet Under, p. 86. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-263-1
- ↑ Benjamin Bruck, et al. (2015). Inner Sea Races, p. 152. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-722-2